What is Hosted Prometheus
Hosted Prometheus is a Software as a Service that provides long-term storage for the Prometheus open source monitoring system.
Specifically, it solves the problem of reliably storing a large amount of time series data generated by Prometheus.
Why should I use Hosted Prometheus
- Store less data locally on your Prometheus instances, making them cheaper to run.
- Use ephemeral Prometheus instances - stateless services are a lot easier to manage!
- Lower total cost of ownership through the combination of the above efficiencies, and the economies of scale offered by our multitenant service.
- Keep a long term view of your Prometheus data without the headache of managing a huge amount of stored data.
- No need to back up your Prometheus data, which can be many terabytes if you’re keeping a lot of history.
- Maintained by an experienced team of on-call engineers.
- You benefit from continuous active development, we add new features regularly and you don’t spend time (or risk) on upgrades.
- Optionally, an SLA if your business demands it.
How do I get my data into Hosted Prometheus
- The short answer: Adding small remote_read and remote_write sections to your prometheus.yml configuration file.
- The longer answer: Full instructions, with diagrams and a config snippet, are in our Getting started with Hosted Prometheus guide. If you have any trouble at all, please send us an email and we’ll get back to you quickly.
How do you handle redundancy
Our backend stores three redundant copies of each datapoint in our distributed, fault-tolerant, eventually-consistent database. In addition, our backend design is heavily focused on eliminating single points of failure. We’re happy to share deep architectural details with our larger customers - please get in touch if that’s a thing you’d like to learn more about.
In CAP theorem terms, we provide availability and partition-tolerance.
Why should I trust you?
We’ve been doing this for a long, long time - longer than Prometheus has been around! Hosted Prometheus is run by a company called MetricFire, which has been building and maintaining Hosted Graphite since 2011. We handle billions of datapoints per day from thousands of engineers around the world, and, if we can suppress our naturally Irish urge to be self-deprecating for just a moment, we think we’re pretty damn good at managing a huge amount of time-series data on behalf of all our customers.
A lot of big brands trust us with their critical monitoring data, and we hope that you will too. If you have questions about any aspect of our service, please get in touch. We’ll give you deeply technical answers about our stack, our security posture, our processes, etc. If you want to set up a call with a founder or with some of our biggest customers to get the real story, send us an email
and let’s talk.
Do you downsample my data?
Yes. Prometheus, by design, does not downsample any data, which makes it a challenge to store the full ‘raw’ resolution because it’s a huge amount of data to store and process for display when you need to query it back. Past a certain point, downsampling of some kind is always required to keep data volume and query responsiveness within sensible ranges.
Using your local Prometheus in combination with Hosted Prometheus gives you the best of both worlds - high precision “raw” data from your local Prometheus for queries on recent data, and fast, accurately downsampled data for queries on data up to two years in the past.
What resolutions do you downsample my data to and how long is it stored for?
We support two downsampled resolutions:
- 300s (five minutes), stored for six months
- 3600s (one hour), stored for two years.
By default, your downsampled timeseries data is stored in a large multitenant distributed database.
If data isolation is a serious concern for you, we can offer full hardware-level isolation at the storage layer, or at the storage and querying layers, depending on your needs. Talk to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you secure your services?
We have a security FAQ that we’re happy to share with you - please get in touch.
What jurisdiction is my data kept in?
All our servers are in Germany - near Frankfurt, to be more specific. If you have a legal or regulatory reason for needing to store your data somewhere else, please email us
How do I get help?
Please email us
and we’ll get back to you. We’re based in Ireland and you can expect a reasonably quick response during our office hours (10:00 to 18:00 IST) but we realise that many of our users are in the US so we do what we can to provide cover for US timezones too.
My question is urgent, what should I do?
If you need a quick answer, please mention it in the subject line of your email, or in the first couple of lines. If we know a support request is time sensitive for you, we’ll prioritise it and try to get back to you faster. If you want to talk about a guaranteed response time for your support tickets, please email email@example.com
and we’ll discuss it.
Can I set up a video call?
Yes, that’s not a problem. It might take us a day or so to schedule it, but we’ll do what we can. We know working through some issues just requires a bit more time and higher bandwidth communication. We love using Appear.In
for video conferencing and it supports screen sharing, but we’re happy to use your conference tool too, or just POTS! Email us
to arrange a chat.